Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Treasure Hunter's Code of Ethics

Recreational treasure hunters - those individuals who go out with metal detectors to back lots, deserted plots of land, and so on - are exploding, as people search for lost gold and silver jewelry and so on, now that the price for such metals is skyrocketing.

Many of these new treasure hunters are unfamiliar with the "code of ethics" or, it may be said, "manners" that should guide their hunting.

Here is the code of ethics, as propigated by the magazine: Western and Eastern Treasures:

I WILL respect private property and do no treasure hunting without the owner's permission.

I WILL fill all excavations

I WILL appreciate and protect our heritage of natural resources, wildlife, and private property.

I WILL use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.

I WILL build fires in designated or safe places only - and make sure I put them out thoroughly and completely when I leave!

I WILL leave gates as found.

I WILL remove and propertly dispose of any trash that I find.

I WILL not litter.

I WILL NOT destroy property, buildings, or what is left of ghost towns or deserted structures.

I WILL NOT tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment